Stage 1 - Sketch Proposals / Planning Pre-Application Consultation
- Meeting with the client to discuss the design brief, budget and timescale.
- Preparation of sketch proposals and perspective illustrations.
- Estimate of build cost.
- Offer guidance on the building process.
- Advise upon need and liaise with associated specialist consultants, as required – town planner, arboriculturalist, land surveyor, structural engineer, quantity surveyor, etc.
- Liaise with Highways Authority, as necessary.
- Pre-application consultation with planning authority to establish informal support for the proposal.
Stage 2 - Planning Applications
- Continued involvement with client and planning officer to develop sketch proposals into detailed design drawings.
- 3D photorealistic visualisations are sometimes recommended for planning purposes (or marketing).
- Act as lead consultant, liaising and coordinating associated consultants.
- Submission of planning application and monitoring progress throughout.
Stage 3 - Working Drawings / Building Regulation Applications
- Producing detailed working drawings for Building Regulation approval, advising upon specification, material selection and detailed design solutions.
- Continue to act as lead consultant, liaising and coordinating associated consultants.
- Submission of Building Regulation Applications and other statutory requirements.
- Managing and coordinating design and production information.
With regard to specialist consultants; town planner, arboriculturalist, land surveyor, structural engineer, quantity surveyor, etc., I can recommend colleagues who work in all professions that I have established a good working relationships with over the years. Equally I'm happy to work alongside clients own selected professional advisors.
Stage 4 - Project Management
Subject to project requirements, the following duties can be undertaken by an associated Chartered Surveyor;
Pre Contract Involvement:
- Prepare tender documentation.
- Invite tenders from local contractors and provide a report with recommendation, upon receipt of all bids.
- Meet with each contractor on site, to review the various works required and ensure they fully understand the scope and methodology.
- Engage the successful contractor using appropriate contracts.
Post Contract Involvement:
- Monitor the construction as it progresses and agree valuation of construction work for interim payments.
- Agree any variations to the construction work with the contractor.
- At completion accept handover of the building, including an inspection and ‘snagging’.
- Supervise any remedial works at handover.
- Complete and agree a final account with the contractor.